Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Yale Diaries Part Two

June 28, 2009
6 AM-ish- Chicago (So they say)

Though I acknowledge that technically (according to my phone that just died from confusion) it is six in the morning here in Illinois, I have my doubts. First of all, it’s entirely too bright to be six in the morning- the sun doesn’t rise until I wake up- about nine on weekends- 7:30 when school’s in session. Second, I just left the airport in LA at eleven PM- one showing of Confession s of a Shopaholic does not take one from pre-midnight to ‘Up and at um.’ This simply does not happen in The Real World and since I spent my whole flight (the parts where I wasn’t watching confessions) trying- and failing- to wrap my head around time zones, I’ve decided that they are simply made up and only California time is truly real and can be trusted- everything else is The Twilight Zone with Edward Cullen and Espadrille shoes- beyond my comprehension.
Well, my flight was absolutely incredible! (I just refrained from writing the word awesome in all caps, Haha.) I managed to snag a window seat (Though this involves the story of a presumably empty seat and an unhappy-looking Hawaiian woman, I will refrain, for the greater good, from recounting it here.) though I wasn’t sure I actually wanted one. (It just seems the thing to do when one finds oneself on a plane.) Taking off was fast and noisy, but afterwards the city was just lights and tiny pinpricks of amber in seemingly random patterns and little black clouds floated under us like thinly stretched out cotton candy (in black licorice flavor, maybe) trying to block the view. After spending half an hour with my face pressed up against the glass like an idiot, thinking how like something out of a George Lucas film this was, I settled down, next to my perturbed Polynesian to watch Confessions of a Shopaholic. It was after the film when I realized that getting onto an airplane is almost exactly like being in a movie theater, only there’s a security check and when you leave you’re in a different place than where you started.

Love,
-Bianca

PS. Tia Nana called when I was still at LAX and the moment she began to speak, the Disney theme “When You Wish Upon a Star” came on via airport speakers. I told her that while I had always known she and Tia Bertha were magical, I had no idea that she could bring Disney’s essence with her over a phone call, to which she replied “Of course.”

No comments:

Post a Comment